Our South Carolina Car Accident Attorneys Encourage Residents to Use Additional Caution on These Hazardous Roadways.
At Harris & Graves, we know that failing to follow traffic laws can lead to devastating and life-changing injuries. According to Safe Wise, South Carolina ranked as the third deadliest state for drivers. While there are safety laws in place to help protect motorists on the roadways, they are not always practiced.
For this reason, our team of South Carolina car accident attorneys has compiled a list of the most dangerous roads and intersections in Greenville and tips on what to do if you’re involved in an automobile accident.
Use Extra Caution on These Accident-Prone Roads
Greenville News reported 20 of the most dangerous areas for drivers. Below are the top six:
- Haywood Road and its intersections with Pelham and I-385
- Pleasantburg Drive and its intersections with Antrim Drive, Mauldin Road, Rutherford Road, Cleveland Street and Villa Road/Century Drive
- Academy Street and its intersections with College Street and Pendleton Street
- Laurens Road and its intersections with Woodruff Road, Haywood Road, Verdae Boulevard and Millennium Boulevard
- Augusta Street and its intersections with Mauldin Road and Church Street/Mills Avenue
- Woodruff Road and Roper Mountain Road
Road Features That Can Cause Accidents
Vehicle accidents occur for numerous reasons, such as distracted driving and driving while intoxicated. However, many people don’t realize how significant of a role road features play in the overall safety of the roadways.
Poor road features frequently lead to serious accidents. Some examples of traffic features that can affect drivers include:
- Traffic lights
- Poor road signage
- Guard rails
- Rumble strips
- Breakaway signs
- Width of lanes
What to Do After an Accident
The moments following a car crash are often frightening, especially when you’re not sure how to handle the situation. With this in mind, our team has shared four steps to help you know what to do after an accident:
- Remain at the scene and contact emergency responders.
- Seek medical attention once help arrives. To increase your chances of receiving compensation for your injuries, it’s important to be evaluated by a medical professional. Any delay in seeking medical treatment can affect your potential car accident claim.
- Be sure to keep a record of everything related to your accident. This can include photographs of the collision scene and any injuries, your medical records, and lost wages.
- Contact a knowledgeable South Carolina car accident attorney to discuss your legal options. We highly recommend that you contact us as soon as possible because this type of case is time-sensitive. If our team believes you deserve compensation, we can assist you through the entire legal process.
Following these steps can help protect your claim and increase your chances of compensation.
Safety Tips When Driving on Dangerous Roadways
While motorists should always implement safe driving practices, it’s even more vital to use caution when navigating Greenville’s most dangerous areas. Listed below are some tips you can apply when driving these hazardous roads and intersections:
Don’t Drive Distracted
Distracted driving has become a serious issue across the country. With 3,166 lives claimed in 2017 alone, it’s important to be completely focused when operating a motor vehicle. While it might not seem like a big deal to grab your phone and send a quick message, shifting your focus from the roadways for even a few seconds can result in a serious or even deadly crash.
Obey All Traffic Laws
While every driver should follow all traffic laws enforced by the state, many do not. For this reason, you should never assume another motorist is going to make the right decision behind the wheel. Make sure to be a defensive driver and always check your surroundings before making any decisions such as a lane merge.
Keep a Safe Distance
Keeping a safe distance between vehicles is crucial. In some cases, you may have to suddenly hit your brakes. If you’re driving too close, also known as tailgating, your chances of an accident are much higher. Staying at least two cars in length behind the vehicle in front of you is, generally, a safe distance.
Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer?
Oftentimes, victims are unsure if hiring a lawyer is necessary after their accidents. While you’re not required to hire legal representation, it’s in your best interest to consult an attorney. An experienced lawyer can review the various aspects of your case and inform you of your options.
If you’re eligible for compensation, an attorney may increase your chances of obtaining the full amount you deserve by helping you avoid common mistakes claimants tend to make.
Were You Injured in an Accident? We Can Help.
We hope that providing information about the most dangerous roads in Greenville will encourage drivers to use additional caution in these areas.
Harris & Graves is dedicated to serving injured Greenville residents. If you or a loved one was injured in a collision through no fault of your own, we can help. We understand the stress and worry you are likely experiencing after your accident.
Our South Carolina car accident attorneys can help you determine the best course of action after your accident. If we determine that you are eligible for compensation, we can gather all the information necessary to build a strong case while you focus on recovery.
Compensation can cover expenses such as medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more. Call our law firm today at 800-273-4357, or fill out our free case review form. Allow our team to fight on your behalf.